Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lay and Lie

Good morning folks,

I'm getting a bit better and I hope that I could make it tomorrow.

I read the comments that you made yesterday and I'll publish them when I get everyone's post. Today I'd like you to read the following grammar point which is very confusing to second language learners and then do the activity at the end of the page and post it to me.

Lay and Lie

Be careful not to confuse these verbs.

Lay means 'put down carefully' or 'put down flat'. This irregular verb is always followed by an object. Laying is the present participle. Laid is the past simple and the past participle.
Example:
She laid the papers on the desk.

Lie means 'be in a horizontal position' or 'be in a particular place'. This verb is irregular and is never followed by an object. Lying is the present participle. Lay is the past simple and lain is the past participle.

The papers were lying on the desk.

(NOT)The papers were laying on the desk.
I lay down and went to sleep.
(NOT) I laid down and went to sleep.

The regular verb lie means 'not say the truth'.
He lied to me about his age.

Please post me 3 example sentences for each verb

1 comment:

  1. Lay
    1. She always lays fragile stuff carefully.
    2. He laid books properly so it’s not fall down.
    3. Be careful that glass isn’t laying right.

    Lying
    1. He finished his work and lain the tools.
    2. You should lay your ID.
    3. He always lays his stuff so can find easily.

    Lie
    1. He didn’t finish his homework and lied to teacher.
    2. He is an honest person, never specks lie.
    3. I did these sentences myself, I never speck lie.

    Paresh

    ReplyDelete